Do you know someone who is a good government leader?
The Thornburg Foundation is seeking a Good Government Policy Officer to lead their efforts to support more transparent, responsive government in New Mexico and to join our team of professionals. They are seeking a dynamic, experienced leader to oversee a $1 million annual grant portfolio for our 5-year Good Government Strategy.
The Thornburg Foundation is a family foundation based in New Mexico that works to catalyze high impact outcomes using evidence to understand and solve system problems, engage stakeholders to drive policy reform and create meaningful and lasting change. They are deeply committed to a non-partisan approach. The job description is attached. The deadline for applications is COB Friday, October 28th.
See the job description below.
JOB OPENING: Thornburg Foundation
Position: Policy Officer, Good Government Reform, Thornburg Foundation
Reports to: Executive Director
Based: Thornburg Foundation Office, 2300 Ridgetop Road, Santa Fe
The Thornburg Foundation is seeking highly qualified applications to lead its Good Government Reform
Initiative, which supports the advancement of transparent, ethical and representative government by
increasing disclosure, accountability and public participation. The GGR Policy Officer position will be
responsible for working with grantees to develop a multi-year grant-making program consistent with the
Foundation’s strategic plan. The Good Government Reform Initiative strategy seeks to support research,
policy development and best practices in the following areas:
• Legislative modernization: Support the transition from a citizen legislature to an expanded
professional staff, longer legislative session and full-time paid legislature.
• Public financing: Increase the viability and availability of public financing for state legislative
• Improve advocacy capacity and sustainability of non-profits serving in the good government
• Strengthen the capacity of state investigative journalists to create stories across multiple issue
areas that help expand the public’s understanding of government and expand transparency in
• Advance independent, citizen-led legislative redistricting.
• Disclosure: Increase the disclosure of money in elections and lobbying at the local and state
level, including supporting a structure that ensures adequate monitoring, enforcement and
access to information by the public and journalists.
Candidates must demonstrate:
• Commitment, experience and enthusiasm for advancing policy to expand government
transparency, reduce the influence of money in policy decision-making, and promote good
• Experience working in a bi-partisan way, building coalitions, and engaging diverse stakeholders
and communities; required
• Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as organizational and interpersonal skills;
• Must operate with an entrepreneurial mindset, be self-directed, and highly collegial; required
• 5+ years of executive, legislative, campaign, or related political experience from within
government or the non-profit sector; required.
• Experience building issue-advocacy strategies to advance long term policy objectives; preferred.
• Understanding of the New Mexico political landscape; strongly preferred
• Undergraduate degree in public policy, business, political science, journalism, or related field;